The 2022 Flu Vaccine is currently available at Vitalis Family Medical Practice.
Influenza (flu) is a highly contagious viral infection that spreads easily from person to person through coughing, sneezing and close contact.
Unlike a cold, symptoms such as fever, sore throat and muscle aches develop suddenly with flu and last about a week. In some cases, severe illness and complications such as pneumonia and bronchitis can develop, which can result in hospitalisation and even death. The flu can also make some existing medical conditions worse.
The flu virus can be especially dangerous for elderly people, pregnant women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and very young children, as well as for people with underlying medical conditions.
This year’s private vaccine will be the 4 strain (quadrivalent) vaccine for the cost of $20.00.
Book online via HotDoc if you would like to book into our dedicated flu vaccine clinic (used just for a flu vaccine).
To book, visit: https://www.hotdoc.com.au/.../vita.../doctors/dr-flu-vaccine
Otherwise, please call our reception team if you would like to see your GP or nurse for other reasons as well as having the flu vaccine.
At risk groups can access the vaccine for free as part of a public immunisation program, and should ensure that they are vaccinated before the time when flu usually peaks in Australia, around June or July.
Those who the National Health and Medical Research Council recommends should be vaccinated against influenza:
- people aged 65 years and over
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged 50 years of age and over
- anyone over 6 months of age with any of the following chronic illnesses:
- heart conditions
- lung/respiratory conditions, such as asthma
- diabetes (and other chronic metabolic diseases)
- kidney disease
- impaired immunity
- chronic neurological conditions including multiple sclerosis and seizure disorders
- haemoglobinopathies (a range of genetically inherited disorders of red blood cell haemoglobin)
- pregnant women
- residents and staff of nursing homes and other long-term care facilities